The team at Roadrunner Law Firm understands the devastating impact pedestrian accidents can have on victims and their families. We are dedicated to fighting for the justice and compensation you deserve. If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident, don’t hesitate to reach out to us for help. Our attorneys will work tirelessly to protect your rights and help you get the compensation you need to move forward. Contact us today to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation.
We Fight To Get Pedestrians in ABQ the Justice They Deserve.
Whether crossing the street or walking on the sidewalk, you have the absolute right to safety. When another person’s careless actions cause you harm, Roadrunner Law Firm steps up. Our pedestrian accident lawyers know how to prove your case and get you the compensation you deserve to help you move to the next page in your life story. Call us today.
Pedestrian Accident Causes in Albuquerque
Pedestrian accidents can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Distracted driving
- Reckless driving
- Disobeying traffic signals
- Failing to yield right of way
- Poorly designed or maintained roads
- Poor visibility due to inadequate lighting or weather conditions
Regardless of the cause of the accident, if you have been injured as a pedestrian in Albuquerque, you may be entitled to seek compensation for your damages.
What Are Common Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
Common injuries experienced by pedestrians who are struck by cars include:
- Head injuries, including concussions and traumatic brain injuries
- Fractures, including broken bones in the arms, legs, and ribs
- Internal organ damage
- Soft tissue injuries, such as sprains and strains
- Lacerations and contusions
- Amputations or loss of limbs
- Spinal cord injuries, which can lead to paralysis
- Wrongful death
These injuries can range from minor to severe, and may require extensive medical treatment, rehabilitation, and time off work to recover. In some cases, pedestrians may suffer permanent disabilities or scarring as a result of their injuries.
We are here to make sure you are heard and your complete story is told in court.
What Should I Do If I’m Injured in a Pedestrian Accident?
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident in Albuquerque, there are several steps you should take to protect your rights:
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible. Even if your injuries seem minor, it is important to see a doctor to ensure that you receive the necessary treatment and to document your injuries.
- Report the accident to the police. This will create a record of the accident and may be important if you need to file a claim for damages.
- Gather evidence. If possible, take photographs of the accident scene, the vehicles involved, and your injuries. Get the contact information of any witnesses who saw the accident.
- Contact an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer. An attorney can help you understand your legal rights and options and seek the maximum compensation available for your injuries.
What Damages Can I Recover in a Pedestrian Accident Case?
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, you may be entitled to recover damages for:
- Medical expenses, including hospital bills, doctor’s visits, and rehabilitation costs
- Lost wages and loss of earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Property damage, if applicable
Can I Still Win Compensation if I am Partially at Fault for My Pedestrian Accident?
In New Mexico, you may still be able to recover damages for your pedestrian accident even if you are partially at fault. New Mexico follows a comparative negligence rule, which means that the amount of damages you can recover will be reduced by your percentage of fault. For example, if you are awarded $100,000 in damages but are found to be 20% at fault for the accident, you would only be able to recover $80,000. If you are more than 50% at fault, you may not be able to recover any damages. It is important to have an experienced pedestrian accident attorney on your side to help you prove your case and maximize your potential recovery.
How Lawyers Help After a Pedestrian Accident
Pedestrian accident attorneys can help you in a number of ways if you have been involved in an accident on the street in New Mexico. Some of the ways that they can help you include:
- Filing a claim: A pedestrian accident attorney can help you file a claim with the insurance company of the party who was at fault for the accident. This can ensure that you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries and other damages.
- Gathering evidence: Attorneys can help gather evidence to support your claim, such as witness statements, photographs of the accident scene, and medical records. This can help strengthen your case and increase your chances of getting the full amount of compensation you deserve.
- Negotiating with insurance companies: Insurance companies often try to settle claims for as little as possible. A pedestrian accident attorney can negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf to try to get a fair settlement for your case.
- Filing a lawsuit: If the insurance company does not offer a fair settlement or if the at-fault party does not have insurance, your pedestrian accident attorney can help you file a lawsuit to seek compensation.
One of the primary ways that we can help is by conducting a thorough investigation into the accident. This includes gathering evidence to support your claim for compensation. Some of the types of evidence that we may gather during this process include:
- Witness statements: This includes the driver’s statement as well as statements from bystanders and other motorists who may have witnessed the accident.
- Police report: The police report may provide important information about the cause of the accident and whether the driver was at fault.
- Security cameras: Many urban areas have security cameras that may have recorded the accident. These can be an important source of evidence to support your claim.
- Driver cell phone records: If the driver was distracted at the time of the accident, their cell phone records may indicate this.
- Credit/debit card records: If the driver stopped to make a fast-food purchase just prior to the accident, this may suggest that they were distracted.
By gathering this type of evidence, pedestrian accident attorneys can help to build a strong case to support your claim for compensation.
What About Albuquerque Pedestrians Injured in Hit-and-Runs or Uninsured Motorists?
While uninsured motorist coverage is a required part of New Mexico car insurance policies, it is not uncommon for drivers to be uninsured. If you have been hit by an uninsured driver or are the victim of a hit-and-run accident, you may be able to seek compensation through your own uninsured motorist coverage.
That’s right, your own car insurance may kick in even though you weren’t behind the wheel of a vehicle! Just be sure you don’t talk to the insurance company before you talk to us.
Don’t Talk To Insurance Companies First!
Insurance company representatives are trained to trick people into saying things that will damage their case, even before you’ve decided if you’re going to talk to a lawyer! They will absolutely start asking questions like “what were you wearing? Were you on your phone? Were you crossing the street? Are you sure the light was green? How do you know?”
All of those innocent-seeming questions are actually ammunition they will use against you to keep from paying you money, and to try to make it seem like you are more than 50% at fault.
If you have been injured as a pedestrian in Albuquerque, don’t try to navigate the complex legal system on your own. Contact the experienced attorneys at Roadrunner Law Firm to schedule a free consultation and review of your case. We will help you understand your legal options and fight for the maximum compensation available.
Call Roadrunner Law Firm today.